Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a consumer well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and place liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the family members after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and dog care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. With all the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to stick together as part of your. Through a federal give, the Council could hire the unemployed to website help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph experienced a society of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic military to the battle. The community continued to be strong and extended to here improve the Town, adding a normal water tower in read more 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and carries on to take action.